Monday, September 1, 2014

Tips On How to Stop your kids from Thumb-Sucking and Pacifier

When James was a month old, he's always been crying at night. I don't know why but he is. Maybe because of what they were referring as "colic"? I tried to offer his milk, he would decline and his crying goes on and on, non-stop! It was really frustrating. I can't do some me-time too like going to the restroom because he wants to be carried. There was this time pa that I overfed him kasi he was crying all the time, I thought he was hungry. Sumuka sya, siguro dahil sa puno na yung tyan nya ng milk! Bad mama. Hehe.

One time, we were in the grocery getting some supplies, I was surprised that there was a silicon pacifier on our basket. Nanay put one underneath of other stuffs so I won't see it. I was anti -pacifier kasi. I have been told that it can damage baby teeth daw and I don't want that to happen to James. Also, I don't want him to get used in pacifiers or thumb sucking because I know, it will be so hard to wean him from doing it. I don't want to go through the drama as this can be really a challenge for me as a mom.

When James was offered a pacifier, he behaved so much. He spends his time on his pacifier. This also became his sleeping companion until he reached 6 months old. Once his milk is finished, he would sleep only with his pacifier on. There was this time pa when he was 3months old, I think? We left his pacifier in Mcdonalds. I forgot that I put it on our table so that night, we bought several pacifiers available in Mercury Drug but James doesn't want any of them. What he wants was the silicon type which was way cheaper than that on Mercury Drugs if I may say. I had a hard time putting him to sleep because he missed his pacifier so much.

When he reached 6 months old, I was surprised that he no longer wants his pacifier. He can sleep without it and when he cries or wakes up in the middle of the night. I was so happy that I don't need to wean him as he did it himself. I don't know why but whenever I try to put his pacifier on, he seemed nauseous so I stopped and completely kept his pacifier away.

James at 3 months old
James at 4 months 
Now to support those Mommies who're undergoing the fight of weaning their kids from pacifier and thumb sucking. I have enumerated some tips that could help us lessen the battle.

1. The earlier, the better. - It will be better if we will start weaning the kids from using pacifier/thumb sucking as early as possible as this will be easier because most likely, they have a hard time communicating what would make them comfortable. It will take all your patience and energy in weaning these on a toddler than a baby. In my case, James only uses his pacifier on bedtime or if Nanay or I will have to do chores.

2. Tastes - I remembered my mom telling stories about how she weaned my sister in thumb sucking. She said she put a small ginger on my sister's thumb so when she thumb suck, it will give her the impression of it tasting bad and would eventually stop them.

3. Lose it. - Some parents would intentionally keep the pacifier away from their kids so that they would forget about it sooner or later.

4. Slowly but surely - this means taking the use of pacifier gradually. It would be the ideal time like bedtime. With that, it will lessen their needs of it and would eventually let it go.I think this is what happened to James.

5. Let them stop when they want - Some mommies out there doesn't see the use of pacifier or thumb sucking a big deal. Their motto was to keep it until they wanted to as they would stop when they feel like stopping. In my case, I didn't agree with this last one. Thank God! James stopped in an early age. =)

How about you Mommies? Any tips that are not included here? I'll be happy to edit and link it back to your blogs. =)

P.S articles are from babycenter.com


32 comments:

  1. Sobrang hawig mo talaga ang baby mo, noh? And he's getting cuter and cuter as he grows. Yung brother ko before, nagta-thumbsuck naman, ayaw ng pacifier. To wean him from it, my mom used this herb and applied the juice/paste on his thumb area. It was so bitter (but safe to consume according to the albularyo!) he immediately stopped sucking his thumb. Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah! Ganyan din ang sister ko eh. Sabi ko na kamuka ko si James eh ayaw maniwala ng Daddy. Haha! =)

      Delete
  2. Ang cute naman ni james.. ^_^

    Ako since BF si Rhian, yungnipple ko yung ginagawa nyang pacifier. One time binigyan ko sya ng pacifier, ayun ayaw nya at tinatapon..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hindi ba masakit Rackell? Good thing talaga nag stop ng kusa si James. =)

      Delete
  3. you're baby is so cute :) haha..My son tinatapon na niya pacifier niya e so pag tulog lang niya gusto magpacifier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youu Rona! Mana sakin! Hahaha
      That was nice then! At least hindi na hassle sayo. Hehehe. =)

      Delete
  4. My boy used pacifier before and bigla nalang nag-stop. I'm glad din kasi para hindi dependent sa pacifier. But, it was helpful for moms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what happened to James. Good thing talaga they get rid of it themselves. =)

      Delete
  5. I'm pretty sure this isn't your concern anymore, but I hope this comes in handy when you have your next child. You see, my toddler was a colicky baby, too; he'd cry 3 hours each night every night until he was 4 months old. I tried buying a pacifier, but luckily, he wouldn't take it. Alam mo kasi, pacifiers can cause dental and speaking problems. What worked for me were these: patience, co-sleeping, and on-demand breastfeeding (you can't overfeed by breastfeeding). Also, I learned that the colicky phase just goes away after 3-4 months, so I just waited it out (easier said than done though!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie!Surely have this in mind. I am glad that my son decided to stop early so wala ng drama! I thought so that it was the colic but I didn't know back then. I'll sure double my effort in breastfeeding next time. =)

      Delete
    2. Parehas tayo Mommy. Nipple ko na din ginawang pacifier. Medyo mahirap kasi night shift ako sa work but tyaga lang talaga. Luckily, no pacifier or thumb sucking issue with us.

      Delete
    3. Ang hirap ng night shift Paulline. Yun talaga yung siniguro ko eh, na hindi ako magna night shift kasi it means less time yung maibibigay ko kay James. Or probably, time management lang talaga no?!

      Delete
  6. My son was not into thumb sucking. May be because when he got hunger cues or a little fussy, breastfeeding saved me. We did not use pacifier also. Your tips will surely help moms having this dilema.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I got pregnant, my sister in law gave me baby stuff including pacifier. I tried it with my son but he didn't like it. Buti na lang ayaw niya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your baby is so adorable! Good job, Mommy Jen! Good thing I never had a problem with pacifiers when my toddler son was a baby because he never used one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina!! I often says, nagmana sakin! Hehehe.
      Great that you didn't go that part of childhood no? Less trouble.=)

      Delete
  9. Hi baby James..
    For me, I had no problem with the pacifier, yung bottle lang nya ang sobrang attached sya..haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Atleast hindi ka na ma stress sa pacifier. Heheh! Ang bottles, I think, mas madaling alisin kasi when they get older, they will wean from it too. =)

      Delete
  10. I was worried when Ethan started thumb sucking, his pedia said it is a normal way of calming himself. She discouraged the use of pacifiers because she wanted to avoid him creating an attachment to it. Lucky enough, he stopped thumb sucking on his own, two months after he started. These tips are handy though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Just like James but for him, it tooks 5 months before he stopped pero it's ok na, better than not diba? Hehe

      Delete
  11. Aww he's so cute! Our pedia didn't want us to use pacifiers for Belle, because he said it's bad for teeth growth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree M! Good thing James stopped before he started teething. Oh I just thought, maybe the reason it took 8 months before he started teething is because of his pacifier no? could it be that? Anyway, at least now, he stopped and that's more important. =)

      Delete
  12. My daughter was never into pacifiers, i tried once just to see if she will take it, but ayaw niya talaga, naging teether ang pacifier. lol! She didn't thumbsuck din, i didn't let her. Kapag nag try sya (this was around 2-3 months i think) inaalis ko yung kamay niya and played and talked to her instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After James stopped using pacifiers, whenever he put it in his mouth, kinakagat na lang nya hahaha! Just like your daughter. He made it a teether instead. =)

      Delete
  13. My daughter wasn't fond of pacifiers, too. There was a point though when she would suck her thumb or all her fingers when she was teething but I would take it out of her mouth. When she's asleep or going to, I just let her be though. Pero ngayon, she doesn't thumbsuck at all. I totally agree with just letting the child be though - they will eventually let go of the habit when they are ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Pam. I just let James on his own and he stopped! It was funny naman your daughter sucks her thumb or all her fingers! so cute hehe.

      Delete
  14. This is very timely for me, because my son is thumbsucking. He does it everytime he gets frustrated or sleepy. Kawawa when I try to stop him kasi he keeps on crying, its actually very difficult to wean him from thumbsucking but we're still trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you can stop your son from thumb sucking. It maybe hard but give it a time and patience, you'll see. =)

      Delete
  15. I'm a BabyCenter reader, too :)

    When my son was less than a year old, he used to suck his thumb. Whenever my MIL would see him do that, she would pull my son's thumb right away. She said that my boy would get so used to it that he would have a hard time quitting from it. That's when I researched about thumbsucking and learned more about it. This enlightened me: http://www.babycenter.com/0_thumb-sucking_11574.bc. That's when I discovered that thumbsucking was my son's way of soothing himself whenever he was too tired and couldn't breastfeed from me right away. I explained what I have read to my MIL. Also, eventually, my son stopped sucking on his thumb :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nakaka miss talaga ang baby noh! It's good you tackled this issue. Thumbsucking is one major cause of dental problems in the future so try to stop your baby as early as possible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my humble blog.
Leave me some love, I'll visit your blogs too.
Much Love,
Mommy Jen