Saturday, May 16, 2015

Mommy Jen Cooks: Chicken Afritada

Last Saturday, I had all the time in the morning to cook for our lunch. It was a great time na ilabas ang cooking skills since wala akong pasok in the afternoon. I woke up to Jami's cry asking for his "Didiya" (milk) and can't go back to sleep anymore. I went to palengke to shop (wow! shop talaga!) some ingredients for my Lumpiang Shanghai and Chicken Afritada. =)

I was supposed to cook the Lumpiang Shanghai a day before. I had the necessary ingredients to make the shanghai pero wala pala akong nabiling wrapper! Toinks :p

I cooked the Chicken Afritada first since it would take longer times for cooking and preparations. You see, I am not a very good cook and I don't have a chef skills running in my blood so I have to rely on online recipes. I stalk Panlasang Pinoy blog and youtube channel for his recipes. My mantra is, I would try his recipe then see if I'll like it or I can adjust it to my preference next time. I perfected the Ginataang Hipon, Sitaw at Kalabasa which I cooked every week until I get it to perfection according to my taste. Hehehe! So imagine nyo na lang ang pagka umay ni Daryl sa Hipon at Kalabasa. Hahaha! Pwede na namin i skip ang recipe na ito until end of the year maybe? Hahaha! =)

Anyhow, I'll share with you the recipe or you can go straight to Panlasang Pinoy blog.

Chicken Afritada
  • 2 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces
  • 1 large potato, quartered
  • 1 large carrot, sliced
  • 1 large bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 cup green peas
  • 8 ounces tomato sauce
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 pieces hotdogs, sliced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1¼ cups chicken broth or stock
  • 2 pieces dried bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
  • 4 tablespoons cooking oil
  • Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Instructions:
  1.  Pour-in cooking oil in a cooking pot or casserole then apply heat.
  2. Pan-fry the chicken until the color turns light brown (about 3 minutes per side).
  3. Remove the chicken from the cooking pot.
  4. On the same cooking pot, sauté garlic and onions.
  5. Put-in the sliced hotdogs and pan-fried chicken then cook for a minute.
  6. Pour-in tomato sauce and chicken stock then add bay leaves. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
  7. Add the potato and carrots then simmer for 7 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
  8. Put-in the bell pepper, green peas, salt, sugar, and ground black pepper then cook for 3 minutes more.
  9. Turn-off heat then transfer to a serving plate.
  10. Serve with steamed rice. Share and enjoy!
 


 I opted not to add the green peas since I don't like them. I actually put a lot of tomato sauce, and little of the water so I ended up not having enough sauce for the chicken.

So how would I know if I like the recipe or not? I usually follow the recipe, then I'll adjust it according to my taste. If I found it good naman, then I'll keep the recipe. If not, I have to alter something in it. I am no expert in cooking since I am still trying to learn them.

One thing that I noticed is that, ang hirap pala mag luto kung picky eater ka.. Hayyy.. Just like me, sobrang picky eater ko so hindi ako makapili ng ibang recipe. Anyhow, I am looking to follow more recipes. Nowadays naman, recipes are just a click away diba? =)

Let me know if you tried this recipe and if you liked it.

1 comment:

  1. Sarap naman nyan, Jen! Gusto ko yang maraming photos na parang nagluluto rin ako habang nagbabasa. Hehe. :)

    P.S. I agree, sobrang daming recipes online na pwedeng iluto. Mas madali na maging wife and mommy ngayon when it comes to cooking for the family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my humble blog.
Leave me some love, I'll visit your blogs too.
Much Love,
Mommy Jen